Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my Staffordshire terrier is 13 years old and has started

my Staffordshire bull terrier is 13 years old and has started drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. This is unusual for him. He has also become very clingy following me everywhere every time I move. he seems ok. in his self. I wonder if he has something wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he currently on any medications?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- How long has this been going on?
4- Is he losing weight?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is not on any medication

Not got any pre existing medical conditions

it has been going on for a few months now

he is eating well and does not appear to have lost any weight.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, the increase in urine output is directly related to the increase in water consumption. The big question is: Why is he drinking more than usual? When a dog drinks more than usual it is a symptom of an underlying medical disorder. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing as there are many different conditions that will cause him to drink more. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.
On history alone it will be very difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter