Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My three year old shi tzu had a scuffle with out retriever

Customer Question

My three year old shi tzu had a scuffle with out retriever 3 weeks ago and had one of his eyes scraped and left bleeding. The next day i noticed that the dog had no vision and was walking into everything. He also was non responsive to objects in front of his eyes and now has a green shine from his eyes. He was put on a course of steroids by the pet optician who said he had no night or day time vision. He has now come off the steroids and still has no sight. What are his chances of recovering it please?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer your question accurately, I too would need to know if damage has occurred in Alfie's brain or retinas. I'm assuming that the veterinary ophthalmologist didn't see retinal damage during examination of the back of Alfie's eyes (a fundic exam) which would explain considering hemorrhage or damage in his brain which would be more likely because both eyes are affected. In these cases, sight can return if hemorrhage resolves and reabsorbs. How quickly that might occur would be predicated upon the extent of injury.

I regret that I can't be more specific for you at this time. I can say, however, that the longer Alfie remains blind, the poorer his prognosis for recovery becomes. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.