Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I have a seven-year-old snowshoe cat. Im afraid she is getting

I have a seven-year-old snowshoe cat. I'm afraid she is getting bored or lonely. Would it be a good idea to get another cat to keep her company?
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Some cats enjoy the company of other cats and some cats much prefer being alone. If Honey has been a "single cat" for the past 7 years, she may have a hard time adjusting to another cat in the household.

Dr. Scarlett :

Some things to consider to decide: when you are home, is she constantly requesting your attention or is she content to have you pet and play with her, but is also fine just hanging out? Have you ever seen another cat walk by your house? How did Honey react? If she just looked and didn't "puff up" or hiss, she might be interested in meeting another cat.

Dr. Scarlett :

Do you have lots of toys for Honey? Do you play with her when you are home, with a laser pointer or fishing toy or something else that gets her moving and running around? Do you have a cat post near a window for her to sleep on and use to look outside?

Dr. Scarlett :

If you are thinking seriously about another cat, I would consider either getting an adult cat from your local shelter OR getting TWO kittens. The shelter generally temperament checks the cats and could tell you a cat in their care gets along with other cats. If so, it would be more likely to get along with Honey (although you may not know how Honey will react). If you want young kittens, I'd assume that Honey may not like the total rambunctiousness of a young kitten. While Honey isn't that old at 7 yrs, it is sort of like a 30 year old having to spend 24 hours with a toddler. Fun for awhile, but tiring and annoying, too! So getting TWO kittens means they can wrestle and fight with each other and Honey can interact as she desires.

Dr. Scarlett :

Hope that helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How old in human terms is a seven-year-old cat?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How old in human terms is a seven-year-old snowshoe cat?

A 7 yr old cat is roughly equivalent to someone in their late 30s. Mature, but still has some friskiness. Likes to lounge around, but it still up for some good play time each day.