Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog recently had eye surgery for cataracts, one eye now

Customer Question

my dog recently had eye surgery for cataracts, one eye now has a lense but the other the cataract was blasted. Tonight she is nputting her head on one side panting and not opening her eye which had the cataract lasered.
I have bathed the eye , but she seems in pain , is there anything I can give her to ease the pain. She is drinking a lot of water but it could be because she is distressed please advise. The vet practice opens at *am so any help would be appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My moderator has asked me to see if you still need help. If you've already had Jess seen by her vet, please contact***@******.*** to have your deposit refunded.

Aspirin dosed at 20mg/kg twice daily with food is the only safe over the counter analgesic for Jess. Paracetamol has questional efficacy in dogs and ibuprofen and naproxen must be avoided due to their toxicity in dogs. Human opiates may be used and should you have one, I might be able to give you a dose of it for Jess. Meloxicam (Mobic) is a human nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) which can be used in dogs. Dosing is problematic, however, due to the potency in human pills.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.