Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Is puppy liver shunt considered to be hereditary. ?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In dogs as young as the one you have noted, liver shunts are considered to be birth defects that arise due to genetic predisposition (where older dogs can also develop acquired shunts due to liver disease). Researchers have not yet identified the exact gene that triggers shunts but the general consensus is that it is a genetic issue when it does arise and therefore is hereditary in origin

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )