Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My shi tzu seems to have pink in his semen. He has not been

Customer Question

My shi tzu seems to have pink in his semen. He has not been castrated and is 7 years old.
I havnt noticed this before. Do I need to be worried?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is a fairly easy question to answer, blood in the semen is something that you see now and again. Provided that your dog is otherwise fit and well and it is a very occasional problem then it is probably no cause for concern and you need not take any measures ...

Scott Nimmo :

However if it is happening on a more frequent basis then this could indicate an infection somewhere in his urinary tract or prostate gland but even then the chances are a course of antibiotics will resolve things.

Scott Nimmo :

It would be rare for this to be a very serious problem

Customer: Thank you so much. It was just a shock as I havnt seen it before and of course you think the worst.
Scott Nimmo :

I know things like this can be a shock if they suddenly appear, just keep an eye on Archie for present and if symptoms continue or you become further concerned then have him checked over by your vet ...

Customer: I will. Thanks. You have put my mind at rest. As he is fit and eating,drinking ,walking normally.
Scott Nimmo :

Nice to hear, I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: Thanks Scott. I would be interested to know if you think Archie should be castrated. I would have had him done as a pup but my husband wasn't too keen on the idea as he had an op at 3 months for a displaced elbow and he didn't want him going thru any more at the time, then time just goes on without getting it done.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just wondered if you thought Archie would be better castrated ,we don't breed him and I would have had him done as a pup but my husband wasn't too keen as he had had an op at 3 months old for a elbow displacement and he didn't want him going thru any more at the time. I don't really want him having another op either. But would it be best for him.?
Hello again Susan,

Sorry for the slight delay, I have just come on-line again and found your reply ...

I think Archie is seven years of age now? Well in this age group there would be no great adavantages to have him castrated unless he is showing signs of excess sexual activity and that is making him frustrated and is affecting his quality of life.

Other than that I would leave well alone ...

Regards,

Scott

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Susan,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on Archie's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet