Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10month old ridgeback has sticky eyes and is always sneezing

Customer Question

My 10month old ridgeback has sticky eyes and is always sneezing and rubbing his face against us. Could he be suffering from hay fever and if so can I give give piriton
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he have a thick yellowish discharge in his eyes?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- What is the milligrams in Piriton?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it's a yellow thick colour discharge from his eyes. They are not puffy or really red. He weights 40kg and the piriteze is 10mg per tablet.

He has had chloramphenical 0.5% eye drops for his eyes but it didn't really seem to make much difference, and it only started less than a month ago. He is on hypoallergenic food as he has a sensitive stomach. This is why I was maybe thinking along the lines of hay fever as I thought, maybe he is just a sensitive dog that is allergic to lots of things.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, it is possible for him to be suffering from environmental allergens. However, the yellow thick color discharge suggst a bacterial infection. If he was not responsive to the chloramphenicol I would discuss with your veterinarian about doing a culture and sensitivity (C&S) of the discharge and choose an antimicrobial based on the sensitivity results. In the meantime you can try Piriteze (cetirizine) 10mg every 12 or 24 hours. In addition, keep his eyes clean by flushing with over the counter eyewash. The day of the office visit to do the C&S do not clean the eyes.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter