Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Vet

I have had my puppy for 4 days and is now 13 weeks old. He

had Vanguard 7 CPV-L and... Show More
had Vanguard 7 CPV-L and DA2Pi both at 7 weeks and 10 weeks. I went to my local vets today to register and unexpectedly my puppy was given Nobivac DHPPi and LEPTO 2. What are the difference between these vaccinations? Were these injections administered today necessary?
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about the vaccines that were administered to Brian today.
We give puppies vaccines every 3 to 4 weeks from the age of 6 to 8 weeks until 16 to 20 weeks of age. The age the last vaccine is given will depend upon the breed. Pit Bulls, Dobermans and Rottweilers have a slow to mature immune system so need to finish their vaccine series later.
We do this because the passive immunity from their mother slowly falls off, and their immune system matures and can begin to respond to vaccine stimulation to build a protective immunity at different ages. By giving several vaccines we do our best to allow their immune systems to respond and build a protective immunity to the most common, dangerous, life threatening diseases.
Vanguard 7 CPV-L and DA2Pi and Nobivac DHPPi and LEPTO 2 are similar vaccines that are made by different manufacturers. They both protect against distemper, adenovirus (hepatitis), parvo virus, parainfluenza and leptospirosis. The vaccine give was appropriate and right on time with his previous vaccine history.
If your fellow is any breed other then a Rottweiler, Pit Bull, or Doberman then he should finish his vaccine series in another 3 to 4 weeks with a final distemper, adenovirus, parvo virus, and parainfluenza vaccine combination. He will not need another leptospirosis vaccine because he already had two, and the last one given was after he was 12 weeks of age.
If he has not had a stool sample checked for parasites then that should be done and he should be given a general, broad spectrum worming medication at least twice 2 to 3 weeks apart.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your help. I'm just a little nervous as a first time dog owner. I find it strange that my vet didn't ask me to come back in 3-4 weeks time. I will call them on Monday to check. Once again many thanks for your help, it's really appreciated.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome.
All of the information needed to keep your puppy healthy can be daunting for first time pet owners. And as we become more educated about pet health the recommendations can change as well.
Please feel free to ask any further questions as I will be happy to help. An educated pet owner is always able to keep their pet healthier.