Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my Chihuahua was bitten on the head 4 years ago treated at

my Chihuahua was bitten on the head 4 years ago treated at Cambridge been fine since but last 2 days very lethargic and shivering been to vet given antibiotics picked up yesterday but extremely lethargic today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I apologize that my colleagues were not able to aid you sooner. If you would still like some assistance, can you tell me:

How old is your wee one?

Did he have a fever when checked by his vet?

Is he eating and drinking as usual? More? Less?

Any weight loss?
Any belly pain, sickness, or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5 years old, little girl

no fever

not eating hardly little water

no weight loss

no sickness or diarrhea

desnt appear to be any belly pain

very very lifeless

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Now if she is lifeless, I have to say that I am very concerned about your lass.
Now she isn't giving you much to go on here. Both her signs, the shivering and lethargy, are non-specific signs of being unwell and are associated with a wide range of issues That said, we have to appreciate that her lifelessness now is our biggest concern since it can be due to the primary health issue but also related to the likely weakness and dehydration that is arising when a dog this small stops eating and drinking properly.

In this situation, with the weekend looming, I have to say that if she was my patient I would want to recheck her right away and not let this linger. If she is this collapsed, then IV fluids would be indicated to rehydrate her and get some electrolytes in her while we try to get her eating. Further to this, since she is so depressed and her lack of antibiotic response suggests that this may not be bacterial, we would want to consider potentially checking a blood panel to make sure there isn't organ issues that are being missed. Further to this, her vet can treat her with anti-nausea medication via injection to ensure this is not what is putting her off her food/water (since little dogs often become anorexic to avoid being sick). At the same time, once her stomach is steady, they can start syringe feeding her with calorically dense diets (ie Hill's A/D (LINK), Royal Canin Recovery (LINK), or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet (LINK).) to help her regain her strength and starting fighting what is getting her down.

Overall, you lass is not giving you many specific signs of what is amiss but she is giving us major red flags that it is reaching a critical state with her being so collapsed. Therefore, while you and I could discuss home supportive care (which we certainly can), I must be honest and say that her signs sound beyond this already. Therefore, the best course of action is phoning her vet now, having her rechecked and potentially getting her onto a drip and injectable therapy. This will be the best means of supportive care to get her back to herself and avoid the risk of further deterioration over the weekend.

Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have her seen today, most veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )