Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My GSD (7yr old rescued 3 years ago) has started to have the

My GSD (7yr old rescued 3 years ago) has started to have the odd bleed from her nose. These range from a few little drops to last night when it was a bit more. She has not bled since and I am wondering if it is to do with atmospheric pressure as even my head has been ringing! However, she does seem out of sorts and I noticed this morning that the whites of her eyes are pink/bloodshot? Aim to get her to a vet this morning if you are unable to put my mind at rest, many thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I apologize that my colleagues were not able to aid you sooner. If you would still like some assistance, can you tell me:

Was this the first time?

Could Sheba have gotten a tablet of his warfarin?

Does she bleed from one nostril or both?
Or from the crack in her skin?

Any sneezing, snorting, coughing, or snoring?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the first time, no could not have got to warfarin tablets, only one, the left that I can see. The crack in the skin is minor, her bleeding last night was not minor, it left a puddle about 2 inches across on the floor although coagulated quite quickly. She often has sneezing bouts but not for a couple of weeks , breathing is sometimes heavy but I would not call it snoring
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Frances,

I am glad to see that Sheba has not had access to any dropped Warfarin tablets, as that is actually a potential differential for bloody noses in dogs. That said, if she has had a significant bleed from one nostril, we do have some other serious considerations here.

Specifically, to see blood from on nostril, we have to consider what could be within the nasal passage way that would be eroding the delicate mucosal wall laded with capillaries. Without a recent history of nasal disease or discharge, we would be less concerned about bacterial infections (rhinitis) or foreign bodies (ie grass seeds, awns, etc) lodged in the nose. Instead, we would be more concerned about ulcerated polyps, fistulas (due to teeth eroding the bone between the mouth and nose), fungal infections (Asperigillus), and nasty growths (ie tumors like lymphoma or adenocarcinoma) All of these can cause intermittent nasal bleeds and often these will start in one nostril causing local disease. Though in time nasty cancers and the fungal infection can erode the bone dividing the nostrils to cause disease in both sides. And just to note, while nose bleeds can also be seen with conditions affecting coagulation, if the blood clotted quickly, then we can hopefully rule these out for Sheba.

In this situation, the best course of action would be to see her vet as soon as possible. If the bleeding has stopped, then it would not be an emergency but still is something we'd want to get checked soon. In regards ***** ***** testing (since the vet won't be able to see far up the nose or into the back of the throat when Sheba is awake), we often will start with an xray of the nasal passage way. Xrays can tell us if there is a discreet mass (tumor or polyp) present within the nostrils and whether there has been any erosion of the bones within the skull by our causative agent. Further to this, we will often use endoscopy for cases like this. It is a favored modes of ruling out fungal infection, foreign material, tumors and polyps as we are able to scope the nasal passageways with a small camera carrying scope. This allows the vet to explore the nasal passages and see exactly what is causing trouble. Depending on what is found (fungi plaques, masses, etc), the vet will be in a position to biopsy the tissue to obtain a diagnosis. Of course, depending on your local practice's capabilities, you may need them to refer Sheba to a specialty hospital if they do not have this kind of equipment in their hospital.

Overall, I am concerned about Sheba and what is causing blood vessel erosion within the nostril. I suspect the crack in her nasal skin is a red herring but would strongly advise following up with her vet about this bleed even if it has settled. Because if we do have a lurking fungal infection or even tumor, catching it early before it can progress can allow you a chance to treat her and give her the best chance of fighting this before lasting damage arises.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have full pet insurance so will keep an eye on her over the weekend and go to the vet on Monday. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Frances.

That sounds like a fine plan. Just since we have had a recent bleed from the nose (which may mean that those vessels are a wee bit more delicate then usual at the moment), I would say to keep the weekend low key and keep her rested (which she'd probably not mind with this weather).

All the best,

Dr. B.