Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

what food and drink can i give a wild hedgehog

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Actually, this wee one is not daft. Hedgehogs are insectivores by nature and therefore require a high volume of protein. So, when feeding hedgehogs in captivity, we often include good quality wet and dry cat/kitten food in their diet as it is high in protein as per their nutritional requirements (often this makes up 80-85% of their diet). Further to this, we will also offer small volumes of fruit/veggies (a few teaspoons of banana, apple, cantaloupe, strawberry, spinach, kale, carrots, etc), along with a few meal worms or crickets.

So, a bit of cat food when it comes for a visit is just fine to let it have and likely give her a boost is she is having a difficult time catching insects. The only caveat is that you may want to give her her own bowl so your kitty doesn't get too upset about the kibble thief.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )