Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our terrier cross puppy is 15 months old, we have had him for

Customer Question

Our terrier cross puppy is 15 months old, we have had him for 7 weeks, we would say we 'semi rescued' him. in most ways he is well behaved and adorable, but whenever my husband gets out of his seat, little Max jumps in and gets quite aggressive, snarling and trying to bite, then calms down when my husband sits elsewhere. We have tried and tested most 'tricks' and commands but to no avail. My husband says he should be put down but I don't agree and don't want to do that. Can you help please?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This aggression is probably more because your guy is playing but does not know where to start and that this is not appropriate behavior. First, purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease this aggression. Then carry a coke can with pennies in it and when your guy starts showing aggression , shake the can loudly and say a strong NO! He needs discipline and this will eventually give him the idea. If this is not enough, your vet will have stronger medications to help train your guy or hire a professional trainer to help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Try these tips, though...it will really help.

Have a wonderful day!