Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 15 year old Border Collie who was diagnosed with Cushings

I have a 15 year old Border Collie who was diagnosed with Cushings Disease in Feb 12 and who has been taking 60mg Vetoryl since then. He has the required regular 3 monthly blood tests and my vet is extremely pleased with him. He has no symptoms of the cushings at all now. However he has been displaying symptoms of what I believe is Cognitive Disfunction Syndrome for several weeks now including urinating in the house hiding under furniture and into corners Bumping into things, difficulty in finding way out of doors sometimes going to wrong side to get out. General disorientation and very restless sleep patterns waking us up every night 3 or 4 times. I understand that there is a once a day pill available for dogs which is similar to that given to Alzheimers patients. My question is:- Is that drug able to be taken alongside the Cusings medication with no side effects ? obviously I intend to approach my vet but would like to know first of all whether this could be the course of action required. Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this is a very interesting question as there is little research on these drugs being used in conjunction with one another. Now if we consider Vetoryl's potential drug interactions, we know that the drug cannot be used with other drugs that would suppress the adrenal gland.

Now this should not be an issue for medications that are focusing on cognitive dysfunction, as they act on the brain and do not act on the adrenal gland. That said, one of our potential drugs options called Selegiline (Anipryl) which I do suspect is the drug you have researched cannot be used alongside Vetoryl. This is because it does have adrenal suppressive effects and is a potential treatment option for some forms of Cushing's itself. Furthermore, we'd have to take care using Fluoxetine or Clomipramine alongside the Vetoryl.

Otherwise, I would note that Propentofylline (Vivatonin) may be an option to discuss with your vet. This is a drug that can increase cognitive function in dogs by increasing brain blood flow. It has no drug contraindications and has no known action on the adrenal gland. Of course, since this is not an intensely studied subject, I would advise having your vet ring the drug company that makes these drugs. They often are a wealth of information on drug interactions since they are the main force behind research on any of these medications. And if they give the all-clear, then this would be an option to consider for Jake.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.