Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I think my dog has a yeast infection, I had to shave the underside

I think my dog has a yeast infection, I had to shave the underside of her neck below her chin when she rolled in what I can only assume was tar/chewing gum. I think I went too close and now she's itching like mad and it's weeping and up in lumps/scales. It's Sunday and there are no local vets I can get her to what can I do till I get her to the vets on Monday?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about your poor girl's weepy, itchy skin under her neck.
It sounds like she had a bit of razor burn which has turned into a hot spot.
Hot spots are caused by the skin getting broken, sometimes from getting wet when swimming or bathing and not getting dried off properly but, most of the time they come from a dog licking, chewing or scratching an itchy area and breaking the skin barrier, allowing bacteria that normally live on the skin to get in the skin and thrive.
If this is a hot spot then getting her to stop scratching and allowing the skin to heal should help resolve it. This likely involves drying out the lesion and treating the underlying irritant/allergy.
In case there is some allergic component you can try:
1) Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with acetaminophen or decongestants as they can be toxic to dogs) at 2mg to 4mg per kilogram or one 25mg capsule per 7 to 12 kilograms of body weight orally every 8 hours.
OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 12 kilograms of body weight once or twice daily.
OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 2mg per kilogram orally every 8 hours.
OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.
Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another.
Give the one you pick a 5 to 7 day trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware that antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.
Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. They help reduce inflammation and aid in skin and coat health. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight. I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg to 40mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example an 8 kilogram dog could take 160mg to 320mg of EPA per day.
Ideally we would clip the hair very short in a wide area around and over the hot spot lesion. That has already been done. Then use a solution mix of Betadine solution (povidine iodine solution) and warm water, made to look like weak tea, and clean the affected area twice daily. This is an antibacterial and will dry the lesions out to allow them to heal. There is no need to rinse it off, just clean the lesion several times and then leave on to dry. It does stain horribly though so you probably want to do this outside. You can find this at the drug store over the counter.
In some cases if the lesion is quite deep she may need oral antibiotics too, so if she isn't much better in 48 to 72 hours then she may need to see her veterinarian.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.