Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My horse has had guttural pouch empyema and is much recovered

Customer Question

My horse has had guttural pouch empyema and is much recovered but stillhas nasal discharge. is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Your vet has done all of the appropriate treatments and medications to treat Cleo's Empyema and since Cleo is doing well, then this condiiton has been cured. This condition, however, does cause serious damage to the tissues of the guttural pouches and this will cause this tissue to have to be removed in the form of a nasal discharge. This discharge should be close to clear but this is very normal and can go on , even though the infection has been resolved, for 2-3 weeks. This is very normal....I would only be worried if Cleo was not feeling well and the discharge becomes pus like rather than a clear, or cloudy mucous...this is a normal sequel to this disease. I am sure Cleo will be fine.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - that is very reassuring. I worry that she still has trouble chewing dry food and I think sometimes she snorts and some of the food comes down her nose. Could the passages inside her head be compromised, and is that dangerous?

HI Lorna....Make sure, especially because of Cleo's age, that her teeth are floated every 3-6 months which will help her chew. The nose and mouth communicate at the pharynx so it is normal when snorting, to have food periodically coming form her nose. I do not believe that the passages have been compromised but the scar tissue left from the damage of this infection in the guttural pouches can cause Cleo some minor difficulties but not serious in nature.

It certainly would be good, Lorna, to have your vet recheck Cleo perodically when they are floating her teeth to be sure.

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Lorna, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure sweet cleo will do well with your love and care.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are exceptionally kind. I have had so many sleepless nights over this horse, who is so patient and gentle, and as my husband is an invalid with several health problems, it has been down to me to look after her.I simply wanted to give him back his horse! You have given me great hope that she will make a full recovery and I shall certainly take your advice about her teeth - in fact, I think the vet did mention that at one point. Thank you again - you are a star!

Lorna

No, Lorna, you are the star! I imagine that dealing with this and your husband has been tough and you are the star that keeps working at it....I do believe, with your love and extreme care of your precious Cleo, your husband will get back his horse!!

Hang in there, Lorna...only place to go is up!