Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year old cat has been off her food for over 2 days, very

Customer Question

My 4 year old cat has been off her food for over 2 days, very lethargic and generally unwell. She won't eat, but is drinking lots of water (more than normal). At first I thought it was just the recent heat we're experiencing, but she's definitely unwell. Is it advisable to see a vet immediately or wait a day to see if she improves?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you please tell me how long your cat has been drinking excessively for ?

Customer:

Hello.

Customer:

She's been drinking more than normal for 3 days. Not excessive amounts, but more than normal.

Customer:

But as it's been so warm, I didn't think much of it.

Scott Nimmo :

Ok, thanks for that, if this has only been going on for three days then the chances are she is doing this becaus she is running a temperature, this would fit in with her other symptoms.

Scott Nimmo :

That said cats that are drinking a lot will often ring alarm bells in the mind of an average vet because of things like diabetes and kidney failure

Scott Nimmo :

Having read your question through I have to say it would be best to have a vet check her over at the first opportunity. If she is running a temperature then prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed and if something more is suspected then perhaps blood tests can be run.

Customer:

Thanks. Other symptoms I've noticed are that she appears a bit 'stiff' as if she has discomfort in moving about. She does walk but slowly. She also tends to stare at one spot for ages when lying down, very motionless.

Scott Nimmo :

Best not to wait ... Also there is not much you can hope to do on a home remedy basis I am afraid

Scott Nimmo :

These other symptoms also give cause for concern, while they could still possibly fit in with an elevated temperature and an infection they are yet more reasons to have her checked over sooner rather than later ...

Customer:

Okay thanks, ***** ***** Just need to find a vets surgery open on a Sunday! I think Medivet have open surgeries on Sunday...

Scott Nimmo :

Some vets are open on a Sunday I know, but all will have access to some form of emergency service if you call their number.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help.

Hello again Simon,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Mia's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again Simon ,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Mia is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott