Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

our cat has been on frontline but it now seems to be ineffective

our cat has been on frontline but it now seems to be ineffective after a few days, we have been recommended stronghold but it only seems to be available on prescription. Is it possible to obtain a prescription online please?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Della has fleas and Frontline seems to be not working as well as you had hoped.
No matter how effective a flea topical is as new fleas hatch out you will see fleas on your kitty. If you have not treated the environment that should be done to get rid of the problem as quickly as possible.
Only 5% of the flea population lives on your cat, or other pets, the rest is in the environment.
You need to vacuum your home thoroughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.
You also need to use effective products on your cat. I recommend either Frontline Plus or Advantage ll as they are effective and safe products. If you have been using Frontline for a while then perhaps switching to Advantage II is a good idea. Do not bother with over the counter products, they are neither effective nor safe in many instances. Flea preventatives should be applied every 3 weeks if you have a young, healthy cat in a problem situation as the effectiveness does wane a little after 3 weeks. If you have other pets all animals must be treated or they will serve as flea reservoirs.
I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M
The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.
Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and outdoors if Della goes outside. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.
The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.
No veterinarian can write a prescription for an animal they have not physically examined recently, usually within the last 3 to 6 months. But in your case I'm not absolutely sure a change in flea topicals is necessarily needed, it may just be that you need a more comprehensive plan.
Best of luck with your flea battle, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. Kara,

Many thanks for your information, we have sprayed the house with Johnsons 4fleas with insect growth regulator, says it protects for up to six months. Have also vacuumed thoroughly & washed all removable fabrics at 60 degrees. I do not seem to have a problem but my partner seems to still be getting fresh bites around her ankles.

We will try Advantage but the problem is that the cat is black making it almost impossible to see fleas or flea dirts on her.

If you think the Johnsons spray is not too good we will give the Siphotrol a try

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the further information.
I don't have any experience with the Johnson's product so I cannot comment on efficacy, but I know siphotrol works.
Even if a product says it works for 6 months as it degrades in the environment we know it is no longer as effective as it was initially. We need to be more aggressive with treatment in heavier infestations.
I recommend using the area treatments every 2 weeks for at least 2, sometimes 3 treatments when we are seeing enough fleas that people are experiencing bites.
I would also recommend using Advantage II in her every 3 weeks for at least 4 to 6 months as it sounds like you have a fair amount of fleas hatching out.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help ... Let battle commence!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
It is a battle isn't it?
I wish you the best!