Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hello, my cat lost hair, can see the skin, is like a white

Hello, my cat lost hair, can see the skin, is like a white spot. What can I do? thank you. Liliana
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has this spot been present?

Where is this bald/white spot on his body?

Are you seeing any crusting, scaling, swelling, sores, or ulcers in this region?

Has he been scratching or grooming the area?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I seen the spot 2 days ago and is situated on the back hip. I think there is a small red point but I`m not very sure.And he is grooming the area.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Lilana,

Now when we see sudden bald spot on our cats there can be a range of causes. This can include everything from bacterial infection, fungal disease (ringworm), and even balding due to overgrooming triggered by stress and/or allergies. With all this in mind, we do have an extra concern here with this small red point that you have seen. The reason is because this could be a bacterial pustule that would arise in cases of bacterial skin infections or this could be an early stage abscess.

Now it is a wee bit unclear if this kitty lives with you (and therefore you can keep him inside and handle him) or whether he is a local stray that you have a relationship with. Hopefully, he is the former, since we'd ideally want to consider keeping him inside so that you can treat this +/- place a buster collar to keep him from licking the area (since he will just make it worse by over grooming).

In regards ***** ***** if you are only seeing one bacterial pustule, you can try managing this topically at home (where large number of pustules often requires oral antibiotics to clear). In regards ***** ***** care, you will want to wash this area with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine or salt water -1tbsp to a pint warm water) a few times daily and afterwards you want to dry it thoroughly. Furthermore, you can apply a thin layer of an OTC triple antibiotic ointment (avoid any with numbing agents). While doing so, you do want to make sure that you don't see any swelling, heat, or soreness arising under the pustule, as this would be a sign that we have a deeper infection (abscess) where oral antibiotics would indicated to clear for him.

Further to the supportive care of the skin to address infection and prevent him from worsening the situation, I do just want to note that we can often see bacterial skin infections related to allergies. The most common allergy in cats is to flea saliva, so if he hasn't been treated for fleas in the past 4 weeks it would be ideal to do so now. Furthermore, if his overgrooming is due to allergic itchiness, I would just note that you can counteract that allergic reaction by treating with short course of Piriton available over the counter from the chemist. Usually we will just need to treat for a week (using 2mg or half tablet). This can be given twice daily, though as antihistamines can make cats a wee bit drowsy (as it can with people) so once daily is fine too. And again if giving this (ir crushing it into his food), it would be best to keep him inside.

Overall, a red point dose raise suspicions that this may be the start of a bacterial skin infection but we'd also have to keep an eye out for any hints of an abscess developing. In both cases, the above supportive care will help you settle this but if you do see any swelling under the spot or he is very itchy, then we'd need to consider following up with his vet for a course of antibiotics +/- steroids to settle his signs.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.