Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, I have an 8 month old who is going through her first malt

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 8 month old who is going through her first malt and she is struggling. She has focuses on two spots one on her wing, that is now showing red skin, that she will not leave alone....
He neck she has just plucked allot more feathers it's not as bad. Is there anything I can do to stop her picking tonight? I'm starting to get worried..
Thanks amanda
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Bella's uncomfortable condition. Feather plucking to the extent you've described is not normal in a molt. Something is not right with Bella. As a first aid measure, you can put one low dose (81 mg) aspirin in one cup of water to help with irritation and pain, offering it as her only source of drinking water. A more longterm approach to this problem involves finding the basic cause of her plucking.
As avian experts have determined that 90-95% of pet bird health issues are dietary in origin, let's start there. What does Bella eat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr Bob, missed your comment was in bed by the. I got her to the vet the next night. She does not have a feather plucking problem -she had a really small feather broken off around her wing elbow. He pulled it out and she was almost immediately better. Thanks amanda