Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

On the 15th july ihad our miniature schnauzer neutered;she

On the 15th july ihad our miniature schnauzer neutered;she has be reluctant to eat and drink(mostly doing so when either myself or my(over doting)husband have either placed water or food literally in front of her; she has felt well enough to go on 1 or 2 short walks(as this was the only way she would have either her bowels open or pass urine) and greeted our 5 and 9 year old grandsons ,but has otherwise only moved between both here kitchen bed and her lounge bed. Today i said enough ( i am the disciplinarian and i also feed her) i shut off the dining area ,carried her to the water bowl and food placed gently in front both she tried to get past the barrier i had set up when i held her collar to stop her going back to her ber she bit me; prior to this op. she was a good nature 11 month old family pet. It's as if she can't (apart from in the evenings when she is lifted up to sit with us) stand to be around me and is trying to punish us for her having the op. Please any advice would be greatly recieved as we are at our wits end, thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Actually, after an OVH (spay, female neuter), we recommend 10 to 14 days of quiet. An OVH (OVario-Hysterectomy) is actually a major surgery meaning that it is through the body way and the surgery is done in the abdomen. What concerns me about Kizzy is that she doesn't want to eat, and I wonder because of this and her lethargy and grouchiness if everything is progressing normally.

Dr. Barbara :

Does she have any pain medication that was sent home with her? Is she wearing an elizabethan collar to prevent her from licking her incision? Does she have a fever? Are her gums nice and pink. . .if they aren't, she may have had some internal bleeding? These are all questions that need to be addressed to make sure that she is OK. I'll be waiting for your answers. . .thank you very much!

Customer:

Hi, Kizzy has eaten small amounts when we have literally put the dish under her mouth,also to get her to drink we have resorted to giving her ice cream lollies(popsicles) and ice cubes(as it's pretty hot over here at the moment). Kizzy is due back to have her sutures removed friday 25th june,her gums are pink/doesn't appear to have a fever(though i was worried incase she developed a uti due to her lack of drinking).The collar caused her much distress and she was morose also hypersalivating so she now wears a childs vest when we are not with her plus we asked our pharmacist for apain and wound relief cream for her;the vet we attend doesn't give analgesia as she says this encourages the dog to do too much

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! Glad that her gums are nice and pink. . .no internal bleeding then. Does her incision line look healthy to you, not red or swollen and no drainage? Also, would you be able to take her temperature rectally? Kizzy really should be eating and drinking normally and have more energy. . .even tho' we really don't want her running around.

Customer:

Hi, Sorry i haven't recontacted you the very next day Kizzy seemed to realise what she had done and became her old self;though trying to stop her running around was quiet a task. She started to eat that day and now has had her sutures out which has also pleased her.We now have our girl back eating and drinking as she usually does,though before i would have thought she would never have bitten anyone i now know the saying "the bark is worse than the bite" is not true; and will be doubly careful and mindful that first and foremost she IS a DOG!!!!! Thank you so very much for your advice Regards Lesley(british way of spelling) and Kizzy

Dr. Barbara :

Dear Lesley and Kizzy, I expected, Kizzy, that you would be fine, but am so glad to hear this good news. You had your Mama worried!

Dr. Barbara :

Thank you so much for letting me know, Lesley! Best of luck to you both, Dr. Barbara

Hi Lesley,
I'm sure she's fine, but just wanted hear how Kizzy is doing by now?
Thanks in advance for letting me know. . .
Dr. Barbara