Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi I have a rescue dog, a Beagle. She is dog aggressive out

Customer Question

Hi I have a rescue dog, a Beagle. She is dog aggressive out in the field. I have noticed she has dull eyes, not blurry or Red, but just no shine. She is supposedly 5.5years old. She seems to have a slight film over her eyes, but I'm no expert. But nothing I can pin point on the internet. Should I get her eyes checked at the vets? I have insurance that should cover this? Apart from this she is super friendly to people, just not dogs that come bounding over. If they walk up to her face to face slowly she is fine. If they come over from the side or the rear she is ferocious. I take her out muzzled and on an extreme harness, as she is so unpredictable. Which is making me think it could be an eyesight problem. Any advice for would be appreciated. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'd be happy to assist you. There are two "diseases" that can cause this "film" that I think you are describing. One is nuclear sclerosis where the pupil gets an opaque appearance. This doesn't cause blindness, but can decrease vision. It really is a normal aging process, but in 10+ year old dogs. Your dog at 5.5 years is really too young for this. . .if she is really 5.5 years old!

Dr. Barbara :

The other problem is cataracts. These are blinding opacities of the lenses, and the most common cause is diabetes. There can be other causes, but sugar diabetes is the most common. Have you noticed if your dog is drinking more than normal, or producing more than normal urine?