Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi, We have a much loved 19 year old black and white male,

We have a much loved 19 year old black and white male, neutered cat that was diagnosed with kidney problems at his last annual check up in October 13, we switched his diet to Hills KD as recommended and have had him checked regularly. About 4 months ago the vet did advise that given his age and that the kidney disease would progress we should consider euthanasia. At the time we didn't feel he was ready to go, however he seems to be getting worse - he has had a few (urine) accidents recently which has never happened before, after the latest accident he ran away for 6 days, after putting lots of posters up and knocking on doors we had a call to say he was in a local garden, we bought him home and tried to keep him indoors (he has always been an outdoor cat who likes his freedom and until recently even preferred to sleep in his house in the garden) he didn't take kindly to being kept in so we had to let him back out & he is staying away for most of the day now. He has become quite unsteady when jumping on fences and has a sore under his front leg(at the armpit joint) which I suspect he got by not making a fence clearly! We have an appointment with the vet on Saturday for another check up as he also has a lump under his groin and has been coughing lots - sounding like he is gonna bring up a fur all or be sick (on occasion he has been sick) I am worried that he has had enough and is likely to take himself away again and we will not know if he suffers or goes in his sleep. I guess my question is are these all signs that he is nearing the end and are we being cruel keeping him going because we don't want to say goodbye - obviously these are all questions I will put to our vet on Saturday - I just wanted to make sure I was prepared by sounding it out first! Our youngest daughter (9) is extremely fond of the cat and is insistent that she comes with us to the app so she can say goodbye if need be- will this put the vet off of making a decision to end things because of her becoming upset?
Sorry I realise that this is a bit of an essay but I would really appreciate an opinion - I am beside myself with worry at the moment every time he goes out and doesn't come back when I call.
Sarah
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry Sarah, about Calvin's condition. I know all too well how hard it is to have to make this decision for your precious guy. I know it is especially hard for your daughter. The coughing and gagging and his disappearance is telling us that he may also, along with his kidney issues, may also have heart disease which is making things extra hard for your sweet Clavin. It sounds like the best thing you can do for your precious old friend, Sarah, is to relieve his distress.Your vet has already told you this and the fact that your young daughter wants to be with him, will not change the fact that he is suffering now and it is time to think of what is best for Calvin and put our own feelings aside.

Again, Sarah, I know this is very hard but I know you will do what is best for precious Calvin and so will your vet.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****