Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 14year old pointer has been suffering with the heat and

Customer Question

My 14year old pointer has been suffering with the heat and has over the last 2 days been walking round to the left. Here hearing has also got bad so we were wondering if she has an ear infection?
Robert bridge-wilkinson
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If your pointer is continually circling to the left, she's exhibiting signs of an encephalopathy - a brain disorder involving the cerebrum or thalamus. The disorder is likely to be intracranial (within the skull) in origin - a brain tumor at her age is most likely. Extracranial (outside the skull) disorders such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys which are intoxicating her brain should be considered as well. Her vet will need to perform diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests in order to differentiate these disorders although MRI might be necessary - an inappropriate diagnostic for a 14 year old in my opinion.
If, instead, you're describing a head tilt to the left, we consider vestibular (balance) disorders. Vestibular disorders are further differentiated into idiopathic (unknown cause/most common), peripheral (involving the inner/middle ear), and central (involving the cerebellum and/or brainstem). Once again, her vet would need to clarify which of the vestibular disorders exists and advanced testing might be necessary to do so.
I regret that I can't be more specific from here but I recommend your having her seen by her vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.