Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

how can I start to find out what my dog is allergic too.HE

how can I start to find out what my dog is allergic too.HE has very itchy ears and my vet just gives him drops for this and iam fed up with not getting to the bottom of this he is a german sheperd
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

IN a situation where allergies are suspected, they're likely to be either due to an ingredient in food, or something in the environment (pollen, mold spores, dust mites, grass, etc).

Dr. Drew :

I typically start by recommending a dietary trial, for 3 months, utilizing a prescription low-allergen diet. This must be fed exclusively -- meaning, no treats, snacks, other foods, for the full 3 months, to see if it is helping at all.

Dr. Drew :

If there's really no significant change by 3 months in, then a food allergy is unlikely.

Dr. Drew :

At that point, you can elect to have allergy testing done, either via blood tests, or intra-dermal skin testing, to try to determine what Smudge is reacting to.

Dr. Drew :

This will allow your veterinarian to order desensitizing serum for injection, to reduce Smudge's sensitivity to the specific allergens over time.

Dr. Drew :

If the testing is not something you are wanting to pursue, then other anti allergy management options include fish oils (5000-7000mg daily),

Dr. Drew :

antihistamines (Diphenhydramine, 50-75 mg every 8-12 hours), or others,

Dr. Drew :

and prescription medications such as Cyclosporine, and/or steroids such as Prednisone, which is less desirable due to side effects.

Customer:

as I have another dog of the same breed this would make it had just to keep it for smudge and how much is it and where do you get it ? I like the idear of fish oil and the anthisamines to see if that helps also where do I get them you are being most helpful

Dr. Drew :

the diet would need to be ordered via a veterinarian; unless there's over-the-counter limited-ingredient diets sold in the UK ( there are in the US -- Pro Plan Chicken/Barley formula, and Natural Balance Duck/Sweet Potato formula).

Dr. Drew :

the fish oils and antihistamines are sold at any pharmacy / chemist (human products)