Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

How can I tell my puppy break leg

Customer Question

How can I tell my puppy break leg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What happened that makes you think Luna has broken her leg?

Which leg is hurt?

Can she put any weight on the leg?

Is there any swelling, bruising or areas of pain on the leg?

Does the bone feel unstable, crunchy, or bending with you feel it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome too thank you for your reply...My name is ***** ***** I have a 4 mouth chiuachiua...this morning I was giving her food, and I droop the jur on her back side...she start to scream and I am not surprise everyone would be...I put her on the floor and she didn't show sigh of pain, but she start to leap and after 30min sleep she still does...I exam the leg and it feel how can I say really weak...but I am not expert so that I am asking you, what should I do with her now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Paulina,

I am very concerned about Luna.
If she cannot put her leg down at all, then we would be worried about a fracture to the bone. This would be a major worry if you think it feels weak or wobbly at all. As well, it is very worrying of a fracture if she is still very lame and not willing to walk on it after her nap. Other potential causes for her signs would be severe bruising, soft tissue soreness, or muscle strain/sprain. Still, with those other cases, we would expect her to start to walk on the leg after her rest. So, to see her still very sore and lame, we do have to be very worried about fractures here.

In this case, it would be best to have her checked by her vet. They can confirm if there is a bone fracture. If there isn't, then they can give you dog safe pain medication to reduce her soreness. But if they do suspect a fracture, then we'd want them to xray the leg to see how badly it is fractured. Depending on how severe it is, they may just need to put a cast on her leg or she may actually need surgery to fix this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )