kshanti
kshanti,
61840635

TRANSFER V LARGE MAMMAL: DRUG USED

Customer Question

I am a university student researching animals in conflict zones. Can Diazepam (Other drug type? Injectable or tablet?), be used to calm aggression in wild boar, big cats or a range of the largest land mammals, without impairing awareness or ability to walk? Will they be easier controlled? How long does the drug need to take effect? How long does it last? Effects on the animal? How is it administered? Thanks.

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  kshanti replied 3 years ago.

Hello-

Your questions touches on a new approach to wildlife management, so there is not a lot of information about it out there. However, I have done some initial research, and I would suggest starting with information links I have found below. You can then go on to extrapolating to the rest of your study.

After reading my response here, please rate it so that I can be credited for my research time. This is a very interesting subject, and I would be happy to discuss further questions at no additional charge once you have done the rating.

Good luck in your study endeavors, Patience P.

*****

Veterinary behaviorists say that the use of Benzodiazapenes such as Diazepam (Valium) and Alprazolam (Xanax) can affect the central nervous system of nonhuman animals and actually anxiety, stress and fear. However, It has also been found that many calmative medications lose their effec iveness when the animal is over-stimulated, leading to unpredictable behavior. In addition, diazepam and other such medications may adversely affect the offspring of pregnant or nursing animals. Effects with the fast-acting drugs may begin to be seen in as little as 30 minutes and may last for as long as 24-48 hours. I suggest checking out the links below to get better figures on timing, dosages, and different animal effects.

Most veterinarians probably would recommend skipping oral medications and instead using injectables, because they have a more predictable response. Pole syringes are cheap, safe methods of delivery, but they are only useful when the animal is physically restrained or is in a trap. Blow pipes are even better to inject medications in wild animals. However, they only have a range of 10-15 meters, and experience is required for them to be used effectively. Dart guns and the like can introduce additional problems that probably would offset their usefulness for this application.

Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook may be indispensible in getting the type of information you need on medication effects:

http://www.armchairpatriot.com/Home-Vet/Plumb%27s%20Veterinary%20Drug%20Handbook%20%5BDesk%20Ed.%5D%206th%20ed.%20-%20D.%20Plumb%20%28Blackwell,%202008%29%20WW.pdf

You can also click on the article, Drugs Used for the Immobilization, Capture, and Translocation of Wild Animals This should also prove useful.

Also, check out the following:

Behavioral Modulators in Zoological Species http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2005/SAE/596.pdf?LA=1

Anxiety Medications for Dogs http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjanxiety.html

Even the Gorillas and Bears in Our Zoos Are Hooked on Prozac http://www.wired.com/2014/07/animal-madness-laurel-braitman/