Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

5 of my Koi carp have died in the last 2 weeks, first 2 ghost

Customer Question

5 of my Koi carp have died in the last 2 weeks, first 2 ghost 6 inches long then two 3 inch multi coloured and now one golden one of about 9 inches, there is no sign of disease or damage to them. Could this be the heat this summer? We have never had a problem with our fish so this is a bit shocking, have you any ideas please? Henri
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologise my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but if you would still like assistance could you tell me:

Have you checked your water parameters? How are the pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate levels?

Can you tell me what kind of filter system and aeration system you have?

Are the fish showing any activity decline, gulping at the surface, or hanging out near the filter/waterfall/aerator etc?

Any bottom sitting, head or tail standing?