YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

My cat had a urethra blockage and had catheter put in Saturday

My cat had a urethra blockage and had catheter put in Saturday night, it was taken out Tuesday afternoon and he was let home Wednesday as passing urine. He has been home 24 hours and he has been passing small frequent amounts of urine and leaking. I took him to out vets tonight for a check up and she wants to recstherise him tomorrow. I don't want to let her do this as he is passing some urine. Any advice would be grateful on best step forward, will he just be sore?
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 2 years ago.
YourPetVet :

Hello, thanks for your question. I agree, you should not have the catheter put back into your cat

YourPetVet :

every time a catheter is placed it causes inflammation in the urethra, this can add to a blockage and make it difficult to pass urine

YourPetVet :

When I have cats that have urinary blockages I like to send them home with anti inflammatories and pain medicine as it is uncomfortable for them to urinate after being in the hospital

Customer:

she wanted to keep him in tonight and recath him tomorrow, is it normal for them to pass small amounts of urine and leak. im just worried about him blocking thats all. but he is passing urine just small amounts and he is licking all the time.

YourPetVet :

It is normal to pass small amount of urine initially as the urethra is probably still swollen and sore

Customer:

i brought him home tonight as i didnt want to cause any more stress on him, she has given me noroclav, loxicom and cystophan for him to take but only been on it two days. she said tonight his bladder still feels a moderately bloated but he is passing small amounts ofurine. im just worried what will happen if i dont let her recath him, i gut is telling me to leave him over the weekend and see how is he is as he is acting normal at the moment (not meowing when is going to the toilet). what can happen if he only passes small amounts for the next few days?

YourPetVet :

There may be some back pressure from not passing urine which puts stress on the kidneys BUT as long as he is passing urine and not crying in litter box and not straining to urinate then the smaller amounts should be OK

Customer:

the only thing he does is sit in the litterbox then passes about a teaspoon each time

YourPetVet :

OK. that is fine. with the irritation to the urethra he will go in small frequent amounts but the fact that urine is leaving his body is a good sign

YourPetVet :

He may not produce a full stream for another day or 2

Customer:

she never mentioned any of this and seems very keen on recath. i think i might change vets can i do this even when he is prescription drugs?

YourPetVet :

Yes the new vet may just require records sent over from your present vet. You may request them or have the new vet request them

Customer:

how long after the cath should he able to pass urine normally, meaning how long till urethra settles down, vet seemed to be worried about his bladder not contracting.

Customer:

oh and forgot to mention he had fluid on his left kidney when he was first taken in with blockage can his small urine amount cause problems on this?

YourPetVet :

It may take 1 to 2 days for the urethra to settle and allow a full stream of urine to pass

YourPetVet :

Pressure from the urine in the bladder may cause pressure to the kidneys but this is minimized by him urinating even if it is just a little

Customer:

sorry about all the questions im just concerned. would putting another catheter in cause his bladder walls to be even weaker and this is what vet was worried about.

YourPetVet :

another catheter WILL cause further damage and swelling to the urethra which when once removed may prevent him from urinating at all

Customer:

thankyou so much, you have put my mind at rest, im not going to let her do it again its not dair on the cat.

YourPetVet :

Closely monitor the litter box, but as long as urine is coming out then time will help the urethra heal

Customer:

thankyou.

YourPetVet :

You are welcome, thanks again for your question

YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience: 6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine