Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Labrador (working) very itchy right ear. Whats the cure

Customer Question

Labrador bitch (working) very itchy right ear. What's the cure ?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most often, this itchy ear, especially in working dogs , could be either an allergy or an ear infection. There are 2 things you should do....

1. Apply a few drops of Swimmer';s Ear to this ear every 8 hrs ....massage this down and the wipe out the excess with a kleenex. This is available at the pharmacy over the counter and will dry out the ear so bacyeria and other organisms cannot grow.

2. Give Steffi benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs in case this is an allergic reaction to something that she may have come into contact with during her work.

If this does not resolve this issue for Steffie, have your vet examine the ear since there may be a foreign body inside the ear that may need to removed.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta