Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my miniature schnauzer appears to not be able to open her mouth

Customer Question

my miniature schnauzer appears to not be able to open her mouth as wide as normal she want to pick her ball up but can't. Yesterday she had some jerky which was really hard do you think she has strained her jaw ? and if so is there anything I can give her to ease this ? I can't see or feel any broken teeth and she is quite happy to let me feel around her jaw and inside her mouth
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

As active as these little ones can get, Lucy did probably injure or bruise something on her mouth or near the nerve suoply. This causes inflammation in this area which in turn causes this lack of function. the best thing you can do to help Lucy past this is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 5-7 days being sure she has a full stomach when thsi is given. This will reduce the inflammation that is causing this and ease her discomfort. In a few days, your sweet Lucy should be back to her old self.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it ok to give a dog aspirin ?

Yes, Jacklyn...aspirin is the safest over the counter medication for this purpose. Theonly side effect is a possible stomach ulcer with long term use. For this reason, make sure that Lucy has food in her stomach prior to giving the aspirin....it is very safe.

Thank you so much, Jacklyn, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know Lucy will feel better with your love and care.

Have a wonderful day!