Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is 14 years and is double incontinent he is now fouling

Customer Question

My dog is 14 years and is double incontinent he is now fouling his bed what should i do?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are three main scenarios when double incontinence arises in our geriatric dogs. The first scenario is a dog too weak to control either his urinary system or anal sphincters. The second scenario is a dog who has suffered a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) cranial to (toward the head) or involving the area of the spinal cord from which the nerves run into the urinary and gastrointestinal tract. Either scenario might be profound enough for you to think that Badger Betson is dying.
The best scenario is a dog in which the two incontinences aren't related. For example, a urinary tract infection exists and is causing urinary incontinence and Badger is fecal-impacted - a very common cause of fecal incontinence in the geriatric patient.
Unfortunately, there's no manner in which I can tell you which scenario exists. Badger would need to see his vet who is likely to tell you that rather extensive testing in the form of blood/urine tests and X-ray imaging would be necessary and there would be no guarantee that Badger could be helped. Euthanasia is likely to be recommended and because double incontinence has a very guarded prognosis for return to normal function, euthanasia may be the most reasonable and kindest manner in which to proceed.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.