knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian - dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets
71139618

Hi I have a parrot a yellow headed amazon I think he is about

Hi I have a parrot a yellow headed amazon I think he is about 31 years old his a happy loud bird today he looks scared as though his seeing something above him but I can't see anything his done it about 6 times today then his fine screaming and chatty but I'm worried as I can't see what his scared of hevlooks above him scared like his going to run of then I talk to him and his fine what is wrong I can't see anything
Expert:  knstrand replied 2 years ago.
knstrand :

Hello, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I can try to help answer your question about Gerry.

knstrand :

Sorry to hear something has spooked him. Is his cage located near a window? Do you live in the city where some noise could have scared him?

knstrand :

Have there been any visitors (house guests) over the last 24 hours?

knstrand :

I've also heard of wild animals such as raccoons getting into homes through pet doors and doing harm to caged parrots.

knstrand :

Has Gerry ever been spooked by thunder storms? They can sense the changes in barometric pressure and he could be anticipating a storm.

knstrand :

Looks like you have tried covering his cage with a towel ... which is my 1st suggestion. Cover it all the way so he cannot see out of his cage anywhere. Turn some music on low or the television ... whatever sound he's most used to hearing to sooth him.

knstrand :

Other things to consider would be new pieces of furniture, hanging coats ... brightly colored items in the room.

knstrand :

Please feel free to respond so I can try to assist further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI I CCHECKED ALL THOSE THINGS I AM IN LONDON HE IS DOING IT STILL THIS MORNIBG AND I HEARD HIM DURING THE NIGHT ITS LIKE HIS SEEING A GHOST THEN HIS FINE I AM A NERVES RACK DO YOU THINK HIS HAVING FITS AS I SAID HE SUDDENLY DIPS DOWN LOOKING UP LIKE SCARED ABOUT TO TAKE OF IS GOING TO FALL OF HIS PERCH LIKE BUT HASNT THEN HIS OK HIS EATING DRINKING AND LOUD

Expert:  knstrand replied 2 years ago.
Hello, gosh I'm so sorry he is still so scared. Birds tend to display this behavior - i.e. dipping down and acting like they are going to fly/fall off the perch with fear. If it was some sort of seizure activity, I would expect he may actually fall off the perch. Animals can display partial seizure like symptoms, in dogs we call this fly biting. They actually see something they are trying to bite at ... I can imagine in a parrot a similar illness would be quite scary. At this point I'd have to recommend a visit to his regular avian veterinarian for a check up and maybe some blood work to make sure there isn't a medical reason for this. You may want to try and capture a "fit" on video if you have a phone/or device capable which records. This will help your regular vet determine what is going on.