Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901

I have 2 holes of 3 by 3 inch in diamater that has appeared

Customer Question

I have 2 hole's of 3 by 3 inch in diamater that has appeared in my lawn over the last couple of days. there is no droppings left so it is difficult to really understand what is causing this damage.
I think it would have to be either a fox, rabbit or a badger! has any body got any idea's and how I might deal with this problem?
I look forward to any/all suggestions!
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is Anna, and I’m a biologist. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. Some additional information will be useful.

Have any more such holes appeared?

Do you live anywhere near the Forest of Dean or Coleford, Gloucestershire?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Anna

No, in fact the only animal's weve seen around Mill Hill is the Urban Fox.

I have never seen a rabit either.

Thank you very much for replying to my messsage.

Michael

Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Such holes are classic evidence of skunks, which dig the holes to get at grubs and other underground bugs. However, the only colonies of skunks in the UK have been found in the areas I mentioned above - descendants of released pets. So, we can rule out skunks.

Squirrels will dig holes like that to retrieve a nut they buried previously, so that is one possibility.

A fox could be responsible. When hungry, they will dig for grubs. Voles, rats, and mice dig burrows, not holes. It's possible one of these creatures started to dig a burrow and then decided it wasn't a suitable spot. Here's a site where you can read more about common animal holes found in the UK:

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-identify-animal-holes

A squirrel or fox is the most likely culprit. Animals that dog for food often don't return to the same spot. (Skunks are an exception). You may not have a problem at all. If no more holes appear, there's no need to do anything. However, if more holes do show up, the best way to deal with the problem is to trap the animal in a live trap and move it to a more wild area. You can often buy such traps in hardware stores, nurseries, and garden shops. Here is an online source for traps:

http://www.victorpest.co.uk/shop/animal-control/brand/havahart

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope you've already seen the end of the problem.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!