Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My staffie has had diarrhoea and vomiting. Saturday over night

My staffie has had diarrhoea and vomiting. Saturday over night so gave him a small amount of chicken sunday for his tea and fresh water to drink. I have just come home from work and he has been very poorly again. The only things I can think of that he has eaten other than his usual food prior to this, is a cube of cheese about a cm in diameter that dropped to the floor and a couple of hula hoops (potato snacks) that my nephew dropped. Should I keep him nil by mouth or get him seen by a vet? He is quiet, but appears fine otherwise.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He usually weighs about 20kilos.

His gums may be a bit lighter in colour than usual but i wouldn't say they were pale

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sue, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm on the case with the ranitidine. Thank you for your quick response. I will give him some water in the morning at 7. If he vomits again, I shall take him to his usual vet. Thank you again. Sue

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Sue.

Dr. Peter