Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

He has been prescribed metacam now and for last two days has

He has been prescribed metacam now and for last two days has been really lathargic but eating a little and drinking alot. i took him to our new vets and he doesnt seemed to be worried. Im just worried that i should decrease the metacam.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

How many doses of Metacam has Mikey received?

Customer: He has been on it since Thursday every day 5.5mg as he is big cat
Dr. Drew :

ok, thanks,

Dr. Drew :

Metacam is generally not recommended for ongoing use in cats,

Dr. Drew :

as there is a risk of kidney troubles if it's used continuously.

Customer: He had blockedurethra last week
Dr. Drew :

that's even more concerning to me, since that condition is stressful on the kidneys,

Dr. Drew :

and metacam can contribute to kidney failure in cats,

Dr. Drew :

so I'm quite concerned about the situation you are describing.

Customer: The bloods and everything was fine when they checked
Dr. Drew :

drinking excessively can be a sign of kidney troubles.

Customer: He had urine test this morning and they said was fine
Dr. Drew :

well, I don't know what they tested or looked at specifically,

Customer: Should I stop the metacam
Dr. Drew :

but I'd be extremely cautious about continuing the metacam in this situation.

Dr. Drew :

I would typically suggest stopping it and see if things improve or worsen,

Dr. Drew :

as that may help your vet determine the next step.

Customer: I was worried about his bag legs earlier just before he went to cat little box he was stumbling about
Dr. Drew :

that is not an expected sign to see after urethral blockage.

Customer: He was fine after he went to toilet
Dr. Drew :

again, I'm a bit concerned about Mikey's situation, and suggest blood tests if the situation does not improve.

Customer: Is meta am just a painkiller?
Dr. Drew :

it is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug.

Dr. Drew :

it reduces pain and inflammation,

Dr. Drew :

but cats can be quite sensitive to some of the side-effects.

Customer: Should be still be inflamed 5 days after catheter
Dr. Drew :

usually the inflammation is gone after 5 days from catheter removal

Customer: So if I stop the metacam that's fine, how long does it take to get out of system
Dr. Drew :

it takes several days to be eliminated from a cat's system. That's part of the reason it can be risky to use daily in cats.

Customer: Is he lathargic because of these meds?
Dr. Drew :

Metacam does not directly cause lethargy. The side effects of Metacam (digestive irritation, kidney damage), can cause lethargy.

Customer: What do I need to watch for after I take him off meds
Dr. Drew :

if his appetite does not improve, or his water intake seems to remain high -- those are warning signs.

Customer: His water seems normal for him really and eating a pouch of meat a day since his catheter
Dr. Drew :

You said he was drinking a lot of water.

Customer: Sorry
Customer: About half a bowl a day
Customer: It's the lathargic that I'm worried about
Dr. Drew :

being lethargic is not normal, and is not a side effect of metacam, as I mentioned above.

Dr. Drew :

if the lethargy persists for more than 48 hours after stopping Metacam, all I can suggest is a re-examination.

Customer: Thank you I'll do that,
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery