Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043
Vet

Does noroclav make cats lethargic?

replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
It is certainly possible that noroclav can make cats lethargic but it's not the most common side effect. Most of the time noroclav especially when not given with a meal will make cats nauseas. The nausea itself can result in him or her not feeling well and therefore lethargic. It is just as likely that the condition this cat has is causing the lethargy, but the noroclav is possible too. If this cat is not vomiting as a result of the norolcav I would not stop the medication without talking to his/her regular vet first.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
The cat had a blocked urethra but is recovering but has been very lethargic but not vomiting, my vet said it's probably the meds and he will be ok by Wednesday but wondered should I decrease the meds
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago.
I would not decrease the meds at this point, they may very well be responsible for the lethargy but their benefit, in preventing further blockage or nasty infections due to the unblocking procedure far outweigh the side effect of lethargy. I'd continue the meds and see how he's doing through Wed. As long as he still wants to eat, is not vomiting and not re-blocking we should be patient in my opinion.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
My vet has given me metacam because noroclav is nearly finished is this ok?
I think it is ok from this point. Your vet will have a better feeling what your cat needs day to day, from my position "across the pond" I can help you confirm or rule out which side effects are likely or unlikely. It is common for a vet to change from an antibiotic (noroclav) to an anti-inflammation drug (metacam) at some point in the recovery. If your vet feels this is the time it is likely appropriate.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Thanks just hoping he is like normal soon, I take it that it can be a while after a blocked urethra
OH YES! I've seen some cats be uncomfortable for 2 weeks post blockage and have blood in their urine for up to 30 days. Patience is needed in these cases as long as there is no vomiting or refusal to eat.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
No he is eating little n going in small amounts to toilet. Just sleeping all time for two days, was struggling to walk a little but seems it's off n on when he runs to toilet.
Sounds fairly normal, if he seems to worsen in any way he needs to go back for another exam.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Is the back legs thing normal? Just wondered why thought it cos he tired
It's really hard for me to say from this vantage point I'd have to see him walk. It does sound like you are really concerned. I'd set up an appointment for a recheck tomorrow.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
I took him today and vet just said he needs rest and love. He will be ok by Wednesday.. He only limps when he walks to toilet don't know whether he is constipated because that's the way he is walking like.
I would suspect he has pain when he's off to his litter box the stinging sensation in the bladder can linger for quite awhile.
Dr. Dan
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** keep an eye on him.
Good luck to you both!
Dr. Dan