Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My sisters poodle is ten and has been on a hypoallergenic

My sister's poodle is ten and has been on a hypoallergenic diet. He has been passing increasingly soft yellow stools over several weeks and now appears to be in discomfort. He has had scans and exploratory operations in past. She is taking him back to the vet today. What could be wrong?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, just like people, dogs can have diarrhea that is caused by a range of agents. In regards ***** ***** question about possible causes, we'd have to consider agents like bacteria, viruses, parasites, (worms but also protozoa like Giardia, Coccidia, Tritrichomonas), toxins, cancer (ie GI lymphoma --which is a concern at his age), inflammatory disease (ie IBD), and general dietary indiscretion causes. (Though in Louis's case, toxins and dietary indiscretions are potentially less likely since he is hopefully older and wiser). And we must appreciate that while Louis may have pre-existing GI issues and has had these addressed in the past; it may not be related to those previous issues (since there is no rule in medicine to say that you can only have one thing wrong with you at a time).

Just to make note of your mention of his discomfort, this is not uncommon if dogs are having stool issues over such an extensive period of time. As I am sure you can appreciate, those abnormal stools are going to be causing irritation to his colon +/- his rectum as he passes this material. This will lead to discomfort when passing feces but also we can see dogs start to strain even when not passing feces (due to inflammation in the colon) or even fresh blood. So, his signs are not surprising if he has had weeks of abnormal stools.

Now I am glad that she is planning on taking Louis to her vet. The can assess his hydration to make sure this long term fecal issue has not caused him any dehydration complications. They will also be able to examine him to rule out signs of overt disease (like GI masses or obstructions). Further to that, at this stage, it would also be worth considering having her submit a fresh fecal sample to vet to send to the lab. This can be checked for common viral, parasitic and bacterial causes of diarrhea. As well, the bacterial culture will be tested to determine which drugs they are sensitive to. Knowing what is present will help them treat Louis effectively and clear this abnormal stool. As long as the vet doesn't suspect any sinister virus or bacteria (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc), then the vet will be able to dispense broad spectrum supportive treatment (ie antibiotics- alternative ones if he is on something currently, dog safe anti-diarrheals +/- pain relief) to settle these signs for him while the fecal sample is being tested.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.