Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My french bulldog has greyish hard crusty flakey skin on his

My french bulldog has greyish hard crusty flakey skin on his ear flaps, how can I get rid of this for him?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What about the ear canals, any redness, bad odor, discharge, etc.?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't have a bad odor ear canal looks ok no redness just very dirty! Iv only had him a few daysi noticed head shaking so I was just cleaning his ears when I noticed it, the way I would describe it is like a grey scab
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Ashleigh, it sounds like he may have a localized bacterial infection on the ear flaps. This is what you can do:

1- Feel free to clean the ear canals with over the counter ear wash solution you can buy in your local pet store. Use cotton with the solution to thoroughly clean the ear canals of all discharge.

For the bacterial infection on the flaps this is what you can do:

1-
Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
2- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
3- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter