Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I think my German Shepherd as lupus he as the typical symptoms,

I think my German Shepherd as lupus he as the typical symptoms, very sore around the eyes and nose, is there any medication that i could give him to relieve the irritation
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Alfie's irritation around his eyes and nose.
Discoid Lupus Erythematosus is an autoimmune disease (body attacks itself) which affects the nose leather, rarely progressing up the nose and also affecting the lips and inside of the ears. It does not normally cause lesions around the eyes. It causes loss of pigment, ulcers and crusting.
If she has lesions around her eyes as well she may have another type of autoimmune disease, either pemphigus foliaceus or VKH syndrome. Both of these autoimmune diseases primarily attack the areas around the eyes and nose leather.
Rarely these types of lesions can also be caused by a type of cancer called lymphoma.
Ideally your pup needs a biopsy of the affected areas to achieve a firm diagnosis, as treatment will vary a bit depending upon what disease she has. Typically with autoimmune disease we treat with immunosuppressive drugs like steroids, either systemically or topically, and sunlight avoidance.
Here is a link to an article that discusses pemphigus foliaceus:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2202&S=0&EVetID=0
Here is a link to an article that discusses VKH syndrome:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1714&S=0&EVetID=0
In the meantime I recommend keeping Alfie out of the sun during the times of the day when then UV rays are highest, typically between 10 am and 3 pm, and applying baby safe sun screen to his nose when he does go out.
You can also puncture a vitamin E capsule and dribble the contents on the affected areas to help keep them softer and more comfortable.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.