Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 8yr old Yorkshire terrier shows a look of a cherry

My 8yr old Yorkshire terrier penis shows a look of a cherry tomato he is licking it and sometimes
Shows a full erection he is not around a bitch. ch today he was at the groomers
She say it is not going back in when bathed advice please
Co
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So basically his penis is out of the prepuce and he can't get it back in, correct?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, what is happening is that the prepuce entrance is cutting off the circulation to the penis causing the penis to engorge and unable to retract; this is an emergency. I am going to make some recommendations below, if you can't get the penis back in the prepuce strongly recommend having him checked by nearest ER vet or he may run the risk of suffering irreversible tissue damage to the penis requiring amputation. This is what you can do:

1- Apply cold compresses for 3-5 minutes to the penis in an attempt to constrict the vessels. This will make it easier to either pull the prepuce over the penis or penis go back into the prepuce.
2- Using vaseline or ky jelly lubricate the prepuce entrance and try to pull the prepuce over the penis.
3- If you can not get the penis after doing the above strongly recommend taking him to nearest ER veterinarian. Keep the prepuce lubricated with vaseline or ky jelly and do not let him lick the penis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter