Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10yr old working cocker male has had lose motions for the

My 10yr old working cocker male has had lose motions for the past 5 days, have tried over the counter medication to no avail. He is drinking a lot of water and hungry and ok in himself , but am keeping him to a very light diet of rice and chicken. His breath also stinks! Am phoning vets tomorrow but would be nice to have a heads up before I go. Any ideas?? Apparently lung worm has had an outbreak near us.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting or coughing?
2- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No vomiting or coughing, I think he's drinking a little bit more than usual, no medication apart from trying over the counter paste to stop lose motions, but have stopped that now and he has no pre existing conditions. There's no blood in his stools either just really watery.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. If the only symptom he has is watery diarrhea this is not related to lung worms. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do until he is seen by your family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

Note: Keep him in a cool room when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter