Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My two years Poochon has had 3 successful matings. Then 30days

Customer Question

My two years Poochon has had 3 successful matings. Then 30days ago, he mated without tie, he evacuated and was very swollen still when pulled/fell out of her. I even let them come around a 3rd day. From my understanding, it's only 30 days ecactly, so very hard to tell yet???? I offered a free mating in 6 months but she is asking for money back? IInsinuating that I shouldn't have charged the £125.00 fee with out a tie!!! From another breeder and having my female poochon mated, 5th at spermatogenesis is released straight from penetration. Please advise
regards Beverley
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your questions as you asked them...
I can determine if a dog is pregnant by ultrasounding the abdomen as early as 20 days post conception. I usually can palpate feti as early as 25 days post conception. Finally, serum relaxin is a confirmatory test of pregnancy after 30 days post conception.
I can't discuss your financial arrangement with the bitch's owner. Contracts may stipulate a tie or not.
You're correct, sperm can be ejaculated upon penetration and anytime thereafter.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The question is more that she should wait another week to 10 days as she is quite chunky, and being toy poodle xs my very said an X ray wouldn't even show skeletons yet. And secondly that you do not have to tie, a slip mating can give pups. That her birch wasn't holding onto my dog. He quite clearly had very swollen glads the she witnessed. And to confirm that spermatogenesis is stronger in instant ejaculation, any other liquid after that is more often than not a carrier liquid?

Thank you. There's no reason to wait another 7-10 days. Vets can determine if she's pregnant now. You're correct, a tie isn't necessary. I don't know of any studies that quantify the amount of sperm in an "instant ejaculation" vs a tie. It would make more sense to me that the volume of sperm would be higher the longer the male were penetrating the female.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.