Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My 53/4 Golden Retriever has very loose stools{more squirty},

My 53/4 Golden Retriever has very loose stools{more squirty}, she was drinkiing a lot of water. Last night she kept barking so i let her out . All she did was bark and didn't want to come in. This morning I noticed she had pood on rug and hat wet tweo places. I have not fed her today but on her walk just a couple of squits. Her nose is wet and her fur is good.
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear Lyra has diarrhea. Is there anything she ate in the last few days that was different--table food, new treats or dog food, anything in the yard, etc? Any vomiting?

Customer:

No vomiting, but she does have a very bad habit of eating anything she finds on a walk. She gets very ratty if I try to steer her away. So maybe she has eaten someting I don't know about.

Dr. Scarlett :

If she is drinking, not vomiting, and otherwise has pretty normal energy, she likely has "routine" gastroenteritis (vs. having a foreign body, pancreatitis, or infectious cause of diarrhea).

Dr. Scarlett :

For sudden diarrhea, I always recommend not feeding the dog for a full 24 hours, so I'm glad you haven't fed her today! By not feeding, it give the GI system a chance to "rest".

Customer:

What's the best treatment?

Dr. Scarlett :

So don't feed her until tomorrow morning, but leave water out so she doesn't get dehydrated. I don't recommend giving any OTC medication for the diarrhea unless she is doing a lot of straining. If she is that uncomfortable, she should probably be seen by your regular vet. But it doesn't sound like she is too miserable right now.

Customer:

Is it a good idea to give her scrambled eggs tomorrow or yoghurt or normal dry food?

Dr. Scarlett :

Tomorrow I would feed her small amounts of bland food. You can buy a prescription diet, but you can also make your own--boil white rice and boil either hamburger or chicken breast. Mix them in a 3 parts rice: 1 part meat mixture and feed about 1/2 cup every 3-4 hours tomorrow.

Dr. Scarlett :

You could use eggs instead of hamburger or chicken. And adding in some plain yogurt would be fine.

Dr. Scarlett :

Feed the bland diet for a full 24 hours, then the next day, if the diarrhea has stopped, increase the amount at each feeding. On Monday, start mixing in her regular dry food and by Wed she should be back to her regular diet.

Dr. Scarlett :

If the diarrhea restarts, has a lot of mucus or blood in it, or she starts vomiting, then you'll need to take her to your regular vet.

Customer:

Ok thankyou. At the moment her poo is very pale yellow and not much coming out