Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Young bengal queen with a bad stomach

Customer Question

Hiya I have 2 bengal queens. One is 9months and the other 6months. The 9month old was diagnosed with giardia about 4months ago. She was given panacur and it seemed to clear it up. She then had a bad stomach again so I gave her another round of panacur but she has continued to have an upset tummy. Her poo in the morning is ok but the she goes about 5 times a day and the others are runny. The past couple of weeks she is pooing on the floor but only when someone is in the house. She is still gaining weight and looks really healthy. As he weight is good and she has a good appetite the breeder has told us not to go the vet but the pooing on the floor concerns me. When she has the runs she strains when she goes. The breeder has suggested that it could be trichomoniasis which she wouldn't treat the cat for.The other cat is completely fine.
Lydia
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear this, Lydia. I find the breeder to be disingenuous at best. I suspect that she's had a problem with T. foetus (tritrichomonas).
It's certainly time to ignore her and have your vet properly examine your 9 month old. Retesting her for giardia won't be accurate for at least 2 months after that second round of fenbendazole (Panacur) but I wouldn't hesitate to retreat with 7 consecutive days of it at a dose of 25mg/kg once daily. Perhaps more important, PCR (a DNA-based) testing should be performed in an attempt to not only diagnose the presence of T. foetus but also Cryptosporidium. T. foetus is addressed with ronidazole. Cryptosporidium is addressed with azithromycin but produces variable results. Co-infections with Giardia and/or T. foetus are more difficult to control.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The two cat share the same litter tray. How come the other one is fine?why do you think she only goes on the floor when we are in the house? Isn't ronidazole bad for cats?
Your other cat may be harboring these parasites but is subclinical - at least for now. In fact, a report from one study of purebred cats tested at an international cat show found T. foetus in 36 of the 117 cats tested, a prevalence of 31%.
She's likely to be exhibiting marking behavior if she only goes on the floor when you're present. Marking on a horizontal surface (the floor) is marking behavior (a communicative function) caused by the same stimuli that causes spraying. We’re not sure what cats are trying to communicate to us but we do know that wild cats will mark to announce their presence. It’s reasonable to assume then, that she's doing so as well. The most common cause is increased cat density - in the home or nearby. Emotional problems, such as a stressful relationship with a family member, separation anxiety, anxiety over her status in the existing hierarchy, fear, owner absence, moving, new furniture, inappropriate punishment, teasing, household changes and remodeling in the home are examples of stimuli that can induce anxiety in our cats. The etiology can be difficult to diagnose, especially if the behavior is only manifested intermittently and because the stimuli for her inappropriate eliminative behavior may be imperceptible to you but readily so to her - another cat roaming outside, e.g. If emotional factors are influencing the housesoiling, you might notice other changes such as avoidance, aggression or an alteration in her general temperament. We mustn't address this as a behavior problem, however, until we clarify why she's diarrheic.
Like other nitroimidazoles, the most severe adverse effect from ronidazole is caused by toxicity to the central nervous system. If we avoid doses that exceed 27.3mg/lb per day in cats, we don't see those adverse effects. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can the t.foetus cure itself? Is it safe to breed her if she has as she will be calling soon. I know the owners of her siblings and none of these have symptoms of it and none of the breeders cats have symptoms. We often spend a whole day there and never see a runny poo. Where would our cat got it from?
Yes, a cat's immune system is capable of ridding a cat of that parasite. It may also remain in a carrier state indefinitely without causing symptoms. It would prudent, however, to test her promptly - before she's bred - in case treatment is necessary. There is speculation that the parasite infects the reproductive tract in cats. It was found in the uterus of a queen with pyometra (infected uterus) although a study of 60 breeding male and female cats from 33 catteries couldn't find cytologic or molecular evidence of T. foetus in the reproductive tract.
Your cat would have come with the parasite. A cat becomes infected through the use of a shared litter box with an infected cat. In any event, we don't know if T. foetus is the problem. Testing as mentioned above would be prudent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. How many poo samples would be needed to take to the vets?
None. It's best that the vet introduce a swab into your cats rectum, scrape the rectal walls, and then submit the swab for PCR testing. Different labs have different requirements, however, so check with your vet to see if a fecal sample is also recommended.
You're quite welcome.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you for the advice. Have called the vet and am waiting for a call back from them.

Sounds good. Speak to you soon.