How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 20270
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now

My shih tzu just ate one raisin , will it harm him ?

Resolved Question:

My shih tzu just ate one raisin , will it harm him ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

One raisin is not going to be toxic to a dog no matter how small the dog is ... you have no worries there

Scott Nimmo :

I personally assess the risk in the following way if presented with a dog which has swallowed raisins, this is based on the following assumptions. The lowest documented toxic dose for raisins ingestion in the dog I have found via the literature is 0.1 oz of raisins per kg of the dogs body weight. And on average as a conservative estimate 25 raisins weigh one ounce.

Scott Nimmo :

For Example : How many raisins would be toxic to a 18 pound dog?

18 pounds = 8.18 kg
Multiply 8.18 by 0.1 = 0.82 ounces of raisins.
Multiply 0.82 by 25 = 20.5 raisins.

Customer: Well that's reassuring , my son dropped a cookie crumb but is sure it was just one .
Scott Nimmo :

Please do not lose any sleep over this your dog should be just fine

Customer: Obviously he is a small dog , about 7 kg
Customer: I will tell my son , he has Aspergers and worries about his dog , thank you
Scott Nimmo :

If he weighs around 18 pounds which he probably does { or more } then he would have to swallow around twenty raisins before you would even start to worry

Scott Nimmo :

Show your son the calculations and have him weigh the dog, that should set his mind at rest ...

Customer: Thank you
Dr Scott Nimmo and 2 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your Shih Tzu is getting on after the raisin incident

How are things going at present, I bet he is just fine!

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes , he's fine . Thoroughly spoilt , but fine .
Thanks for your help