Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Spots of blood on floor,seem to be coming from dogs peniS otherwise

Spots of blood on floor,seem to be coming from dogs peniS otherwise everything is normal.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Have you taken a close look at his penis? If so, any cuts, swelling, etc.?
3- Is he urinating as usual?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1.spasmodically for about a month
2.touched the sheath and it seemed ok,dog didn't,flinch.3.yes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, in a male dog there are many possible causes for blood coming out of the penis. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Bladder stones, kidney or prostate disease, urethritis (inflammation of urethra) and less likely infections, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Your dog will need to have a hands on examination by family veterinarian including a rectal exam (check prostate), xrays, blood work and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, make sure he is urinating as usual. If at any point he is unable to urinate have him checked immediately by a veterinarian as this suggest a stone blocking the outflow of urine; that would be an emergency that requires immediate veterinary care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter