Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a Labrador and she has recently come out with a red

Customer Question

I have a Labrador and she has recently come out with a red rash on her stomach. I have been putting cream on her as it is itchy. It seems to have gone down a little bit but not as much as I would like. Was wondering if there is anything else I could try to get rid of this itching?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please can you tell me - What sort of cream have you been using?

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry, I have just picked up " Anti bacterial spray and sudocream " thats fine ...

Scott Nimmo :

Where a dog has an allergy and it presents as a rash something like 0.5% hydrocortisone cream can be very good, this is an over the counter human product in the UK by the way

Scott Nimmo :

You would apply this say twice a day for five days or so, that could do the trick ...

Scott Nimmo :

Where a dog is itchy and has a skin condition then you should also use a good flea treatment in case it is something that simple,

Scott Nimmo :

even a few fleas, just a couple can trigger quite an allergic reaction sometimes ...

Scott Nimmo :

If the rash does not resolve with the simple means such as you have been trying and the measures I suggested then it would be best to have your vet take a look in case you are dealing with something like sarcoptic mange or a more complex allergic skin condition ...

Scott Nimmo :

Bacterila skin infections are also possible and in that case you may need prescription drugs such as antibiotics ...

Scott Nimmo :

But the hydrocortisone cream may work, so give that a try first ...

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Heather,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Roxy's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again Heather,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Roxy is getting on with the rash.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott