Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog as had loose stools since Friday night no worms or blood

My dog as had loose stools since Friday night no worms or blood present. I've just found out that next door had sprayed part of their garden with weedkiller earlier on Friday. Is there any way this could have had an affect her. She is brighter today and on a diet of boiled chicken and boiled rice with water to hand but is there any advice you can give me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Generally speaking, we only tend to see dogs have issues with weed killer when they have eaten the contaminated grass. Furthermore, when that does happen, those dogs often have upper GI or vomiting issues, as opposed to diarrhea. Therefore, it is likely that the weed spray is a red herring in Poppy' case.

In this situation, a light diet is a good first step with supportive care. I would advise continuing this for the next week or so. Once she has settled, you can slowly wean her back to her normal diet.

Further to this, you can consider trying her today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if her diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.

Further to this, since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate dogs, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated from her loose stools, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether the pet has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and depresses them).

Finally, since you have seen no blood, you can consider trying her today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if her diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.

Overall, the weed killer isn't likely to be our culprit here. Therefore, in this case, I'd advise continuing your light diet but also monitoring her hydration +/- treating with an anti-diarrheal. If you find that she just isn't settling over the next few days, then it'd be worth having a following up with her vet to have a fecal sample tested to just make sure there isn't an opportunistic agents causing these signs for your lass.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply ive taken the information on board and its put my mind at rest a little. Am now going to my local chemist to see if they have either product available.

I trust there will be no further payment to yourselves?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome Irene,

Most chemists carry both the human preparations I have noted over the counter (I can say that I have seen both in our local Co-Op chemist just the other day). In regards ***** ***** Prokolin product, most vets carry this over the counter and you only have to request it at the desk.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** for assisting you today, you just need to leave (hopefully, positive) feedback for the system to arrange that.

Take care,

Dr. B.