Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

can you train to be a veterinary nurse with out going to

Customer Question

can you train to be a veterinary nurse
with out going to collage.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
In regards ***** ***** question, there are several options when it comes to training to be a veterinary nurse. First, you can go to college as part of a full time vet nursing program. Experience in this mode tends to be via short term placements at different hospitals.
Alternatively, a veterinary nurse trainee can join the staff of a veterinary practice approved as a training practice. With this option, the trainee spends most of his/her time at the base practice but attends college classes part time. In this case, the practice often pays all or part of the part time college fees as well as the trainee's wage.
Finally, the third option is to find a practice that would take you on as an animal care assistance. Not all practices will take on untrained/unregistered staff, but some are keen to train you as you go. You would need to work from the ground up (starting with kennel cleaning and dog walking, etc) but you can gain a wide breath of experience that can help you expand your abilities within your practice. As well, if your practice is keen to have you trained and have the facility to do sos, then perhaps that could even lead to you eventually training to become a registered vet nurse via the second (part time college) option.
If you are interested in finding a training practice near you, you can check the RCVS register at http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/advanced-search/ (remember to click the VN training practice button when searching)
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )