Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

What is the long term prognosis for polyarthritis in a 7 year

What is the long term prognosis for polyarthritis in a 7 year old eventer
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

AS you know, this is a very stressful work for horses and they will need to be in excellent physical condition in order to compete in such a difficult sport. The prognosis will depend on the position of the Polyarthritis and the extent of it in such a young eventer. In general, however, even the beginnings of Polyarthritis will impeed Chocolate Chips performance so he may not have a good prognosis for this sport that is so demanding. It is best to treat with anti inflammatory medications as well as Glucosamine and then xray again after 2-3 months and this will give you a better feel.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****